ASES Privacy Agreement
Your privacy is important to us, and we want to communicate with our members in a way which has their consent, and which is in line with UK law on data protection. As a result of a change in UK law, we now need your consent to how we contact you and use the information you provide us with. By purchasing membership you automatically agree with our Privacy Agreement, details below:
This statement explains how the Adam Smith Economics Society (“we”, “us” and “our”) handles and uses the personal information we collect about our members alumni for processes relating to our operations and activities.
When changes are made to this statement, we will publish the updated version on our website and email you.
The controller for your personal information is the Adam Smith Economics Society. The person responsible for data protection within our society is the President who can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How we use your personal information
We collect and process your personal information for a number of purposes, including:
- Maintaining your personal details (e.g. your name, photograph, membership number and preferred contact details), including ensuring effective communications with you.
- Keeping financial records (e.g. payment of your membership fees).
- Maintaining a formal record of your activities with us.
- Undertaking research into our activities.
- Managing complaints made to us.
- Managing society alumni relations and fundraising.
- Marketing purposes to promote our events and inform you directly.
- Enhance your employability prospects
- Conduct Market Research
Our normal legal basis for processing your personal information is your consent, which you gave at the point you become a member of the society and which you can withdraw at any time, including by resigning your membership.
If a members is elected or/and appointed within the board of ASES, the board member will automatically adhere the GDPR guideline as stated.
We keep your personal information for as long as we need it, and continue to do so once you graduate to build our Alumni network.
How we share your personal information
- Personal information is not shared outside of the society and its members and if so we will inform you accordingly.
- Personal information is not normally shared outside of the society and its members. We share some of your personal information with the Students’ Representative Council and/or University, only where there is a specific need to, including for affiliation purposes
We may also be subject to a legal requirement (with or without your consent) to share your personal information with the University or a government agency (such as the police or security services or other statutory authorities with investigatory powers) under special circumstances (e.g. relating to tax, crime or health and safety). Where feasible and appropriate, we will notify you of our intention to share such information in advance.
You have the right to access the personal information that we hold about you. You also have the right to ask us to correct any inaccurate personal information we hold about you, to delete personal information, or otherwise restrict our processing, or to object to processing or communications, or to receive an electronic copy of the personal information you provided to us. Please note that all of these rights are qualified in various ways.
If you have questions or concerns about how your personal information is used, please contact us using the above details.
If you are not satisfied with our response or believe we are not processing your personal data in accordance with the law, you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) https://ico.org.uk/.
By purchasing membership and becoming a member of ASES, you are agreeing to:
- ASES holding and processing your personal information
- Having your pictures taken and shared on ASES social media
- Having your CV shared to third parties who are interested in seeing them (such as recruiters, Companies, etc.)
- Being sent emails in order to be kept informed about news, events, activities within ASES.